ENVIRONMENT

The ultimate goal: a planet we can live on.

Used electronics are one of the fastest growing segments of the waste stream. And they contain materials that are hazardous to the environment and human health if not handled responsibly. In 2012, approximately 15 pounds of used electronics were generated per capita worldwide – but less than 20% were recycled.* The faster we can get those used electronics back into use – or recycled the right way – the better it is for all of us. It might just be the most important mission there is. (Source: SERI 2014)

85% of Collection Phones Can Be Refurbished And Reused


The answer is reducing e-waste

Cellular Recycler has two goals for reducing e-waste – refurbishing electronics to extend their useful life, and recycling the remainder in a responsible way. Approximately 85% of the phones and electronics we receive are usable items that can be refurbished and resold with the help of our refurbishing partners. The other 15% of phones and electronics we receive can’t be repaired and are considered e-waste. These “junk” materials contain precious metals that can be extracted for the production of new products.

We recycle responsibly

Cellular Recycler operates in accordance with the CTIA Guidelines for Recycling/Materials Recovery, and we are committed to the R2 principles. We have excellent relationships with two US-based R2/RIOS Certified smelting facilities, and we smelt upwards of 40,000 lbs of cell phone handsets per year. Both of Cellular Recycler’s smelting vendors are located in the United States, so no e-waste leaves the country to be destroyed.

R2/RIOS certified

Cellular Recycler holds the R2/RIOS certification, which ensures our testing, training, data clearing, inventory, and quality control methods exceed industry standards. Every certified R2 recycler is rigorously audited by an independent third-party in more than 50 areas of operational and environmental performance. R2/RIOS also ensures each handset, hard drive, SD card or any other data collection device is data cleared to the NIST’s special publication 800-88 guidelines for media sanitation. (Source: SERI 2014)

 

R2Rios(print)

Environmental partnerships
10 For Change

means we are part of the country’s largest commercial energy-reduction initiative.

The National Recycling Coalition

is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the improvement of recycling, and also source reduction, composting, and reuse.

PACE

is a partnership of local governments committed to creating a business community with environmentally sustainable practices.